Seductive, alluring, captivating – some of the adjectives that people often use to describe the lips. They often top the charts for the most attractive feature on the face. They also top the charts when it comes to makeup and cosmetics. Gorgeous pink lips, devoid of any makeup, are every girl’s dream. And sometimes, this dream is compromised because of black spots on the lips. But you need not make peace with those black spots anymore.
Wondering how to remove them? There are easy home remedies you can use to get rid of those ugly spots.
Causes For Dark Spots On The Lips
Before we delve into the treatment options for black spots on the lips, we need to know why we get them. Here are the causes that lead to the formation of those spots on the lips:
- Vitamin B Deficiency – Every time you notice changes in the texture or appearance of your lips, hair, or nails, the primary cause is the deficiency of vital vitamins and minerals. In this case, black spots on the lips might be a result of vitamin B deficiency. Consult a doctor and seek treatment if you suffer from any vitamin deficiency to prevent other complications.
- Usage Of Old Lip Products – Using old lipsticks or lip balms that are past their expiry date is yet another reason for black spots. Always make sure you double check the expiry date of your favorite lip product to prevent black spots.
- Excessive Drinking And Smoking – The harmful chemicals from smoking can easily damage your lips. Alcohol can disrupt the normal functioning of the body and lead to dark spots on the lips.
- Excess Iron In The Body – This medical condition also leads to black spots that make the lips look unhealthy. A simple blood test can tell you if you have too much iron. You can then consult your doctor for treatment.
- Dryness Of The Lips – Chapping essentially means dry skin, which might serve as a breeding ground for infection when left untreated. These infections can also lead to spots.
- Hormonal Imbalance – Our body needs all the hormones to function properly for it to work efficiently. Sometimes, these spots might be an indication of hormonal imbalances in the body and may need treatment.
[ Read: Home Remedies To Cure White Spots On Lips ]
Now that we know the common causes of dark spots on the lips, we shall list some home remedies to treat the same.
How To Get Rid Of Black Spots On Lips
Home Remedies To Treat Black Spots On The Lips
1. Apple Cider Vinegar To Remove Dark Spots On Lips
- Apple cider vinegar
- Cotton swab
- Dip the cotton swab in the vinegar and apply it to the affected area.
- Leave it on for a couple of minutes.
ACV can be applied twice or even thrice a day.
2. Almond Oil For Dark Spots On Lips
1-2 drops almond oil
- Using clean fingertips, massage the oil on the lips.
- Leave it on overnight.
Apply almond oil every night.
The nourishing fats present in almond oil will hydrate the lips and get rid of the dryness that can cause spots. Almond oil also has mild bleaching properties that can lighten the spots (2).
3. Lemon And Honey For Dark Spots On Lips
- 1-2 drops lemon juice
- 1-2 drops honey
- Mix the two and apply the mixture on the spots on your lips.
- Let it dry for about 10 minutes and then rinse it off.
Repeat this twice a day.
The bleaching properties of lemon juice prove to be beneficial to lighten the dark spots (5).
[ Read: Ways To Get Rid Of Dark Lips Naturally ]
A beetroot slice
- Keep the beetroot slice in the refrigerator for a couple of minutes.
- Then, gently rub the cool slice on the lips for 2-3 minutes.
- Leave the beetroot juice on for another 5 minutes and then wash it off.
Do this every day religiously for best results.
This vegetable is known to be extremely helpful in getting rid of spots on the lips. It hydrates the skin and removes the darkened dead skin cells. It also helps in the formation of new skin cells and reduces oxidative damage (6).
5. Rose Petals And Glycerin For Black Spots On Lips
- 2-3 rose petals
- 1 teaspoon glycerin
- Crush the rose petals and mix them with glycerin.
- Apply this as a mask on your lips and keep it on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water.
Repeat this once every day.
The application of glycerin reduces the black spots that are ruining the beauty of your lips. It extensively hydrates the skin and improves its elasticity, which is often lacking in chapped lips. Even if the black spots are caused due to some irritation, glycerin can help to alleviate the irritation and get rid of the black spots (9).
6. Pomegranate For Black Spots On Lips
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon rose water OR milk cream
- Mash the pomegranate seeds and add rose water to this.
- Mix well and apply this paste on the lips.
- Rub the paste on your lips gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
Repeat this every alternate day.
Pomegranate can add moisture to the lips and also help in the healing of the dark spots. It can do this by improving the regenerative process of the skin cells and encouraging circulation (10).
7. Sugar Scrub For Black Spots On Lips
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- A few drops of lemon juice
- Add the lemon juice to the sugar granules and scrub your lips with this mixture.
- Keep scrubbing for 3-4 minutes and then rinse it off.
Use this scrub twice or thrice a week.
Why This Works
Scrubbing with sugar exfoliates the dark and dead cells from the lips and makes them look fresh and pink. It also promotes new cell growth (11).
8. Turmeric And Nutmeg Paste For Black Spots On Lips
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
- Mix both the powders and add a few drops of water to get a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected area and keep it on until it dries.
- Wash it off and apply a lip balm.
Do this once every day.
Both turmeric and nutmeg have antibacterial properties and can work well in conjunction when the spots on your lip are due to an infection. These spices also have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and healing properties. All of these help in the quick recovery of the damaged skin on your lips (14).
[ Read: Ways To Take Care Of Pimples On Mouth And Lips ]
A cucumber slice
- Mash the cucumber thoroughly and apply the thick juice on the lips.
- Leave this on for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
You can repeat this up to twice a day.
The mild bleaching and hydrating properties of cucumber lighten the black spots on your lip and also moisturize the dry skin present there (15).
10. Strawberries For Black Spots On Lips
- Crush the strawberry and apply it on the lips.
- Keep this on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water.
Repeat this every day until the spot fades away.
The vitamin C content of the strawberry will exfoliate the skin, lighten the dark spot, rejuvenate the skin, and also eliminate the dryness (16). And not to mention, the lip-smacking taste and flavor of strawberries are a bonus.
Apart from using the remedies given above, drink at least 8-10 glasses of water every day to keep your body and skin hydrated. If you are a physically active person, you might require more water. Keeping yourself hydrated helps you get rid of and prevent the recurrence of black spots.
A few more doubts regarding these unsightly marks are cleared below in the FAQ section.
Tips to prevent black spots on the lips
A key tip regarding water consumption has already been mentioned above. Other than that, here are some more tips you can follow to prevent black spots on lips:
- Use a lip balm with SPF, especially before you step out in the sun. Reapply every two hours.
- Reduce your caffeine intake.
- Do not keep biting or licking your lips.
- Quit smoking.
- Reduce your iron intake, but consult your doctor before you stop any supplements that you are already taking.
- Dispose all old and expired skin care and lip products.
How long does it take to get rid of dark spots on the lips?
Depending on the cause and intensity of the spots, it can take anywhere from 2-3 weeks to more than a month for the spots to go away.
What type of cancer causes black spots on the lips?
Lip cancer is a rare type of skin cancer can cause black spots on the lips. These spots are usually accompanied by lumps. Extensive exposure to the sun is a major cause of this.
Now that you know how to get rid of black spots on lips, what are you waiting for? These were some of the best and effective home remedies that show results when used regularly on the black spots on your lips. There is no need for you to live with those ugly looking spots anymore. Make your lips shine and just smile!
Let us know your favorite home remedy in the comments section below.